Fast Food Menu Maven
Tips for Eating Out and On-the-Go
Before you go:
- See if you can pull-up the menu online.
- Avoid menu items with these descriptions: alfredo, battered, breaded, cheesy, creamy, crunchy, crispy, fried.
- Look for menu items that are poached, grilled, broiled, roasted, steamed, al fresco, and marinara.
Fast Food: Lower Calorie Options When You're in a Hurry
|Instead of…||Choose this…|
|Jack’s Chicken Biscuit (560 kcal)||Jack’s Breakfast Wrap (120 kcal)|
|McDonald’s Quarter Pounder (620 kcal)||McDonald’s Cheeseburger (300 kcal)|
|Subway Steak and Cheese Footlong (680 kcal)||Subway Turkey Breast 6” (250 kcal)|
|Captain D’s French Fries (330 kcal)||Captain D’s Baked Potato (210 kcal)|
|Chic-fil-A Chicken Sandwich (440 kcal)||Chic-fil-A Grilled Chicken Sandwich (320 kcal)|
|Taco Bell Quesarito (650 kcal)||Taco Bell Bean Burrito (350 kcal)|
Check the Calorie Count Before You Go
Most restaurants have calorie information on their website. If you can’t find calorie information there, try these websites:
Aim for your entire meal to be less than 500 calories. Don’t forget to count calories from drinks, sides, appetizers, and dessert!
At the Restaurant
- Order thoughtfully.
- Choose one of the meals you reviewed beforehand.
- If you are not sure how menu items are prepared, ask.
- Order water, unsweetened tea or diet soft drinks, instead of alcohol or sugar sweetened beverages (soda, tea, mixed drinks).
- Ask for sauces and dressings to be served on the side.
- Oder smaller portioned meals, like an appetizer or kid’s meal.
- If you order an entrée, ask for a to-go box with your meal and put half of your meal into the to-go box before eating.
Savor Your Meal
- Eat slowly and pay careful attention to how your food looks, smells and tastes. Enjoy your surroundings.
- Set your utensils or food down in between each bite.
- Take sips of water between bites and through-out your meal.
- Order coffee or expresso instead of dessert – but be sure to use sweetener instead of sugar and milk instead of cream.